January, 1953 Roy Steed and Denis Evans founded STEED & EVANS LIMITED, a structures and heavy civil engineering company.
During the 1960’s, the Company diversified into the Niagara Peninsula by acquiring Drope Construction Limited, which provided asphalt paving, concrete construction, road and bridge construction and rehabilitation. Moyer Sand 1965 Limited was also acquired which provided a broad range of aggregates. Both of these companies were amalgamated in 1969 into Steed and Evans Limited, as the Niagara Construction Division and Fonthill Materials Division.
The Company also expanded into the Maritimes by acquiring several companies in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, to provide full aggregate and asphalt production facilities. Associated with the Maritimes operations was a US company that was used to provide epoxy asphalt on special projects throughout North America.
Stability to a seasonal business came in 1967, when the Company was awarded its first 3 year Metro Toronto Sand Camp, followed by an additional Metro Toronto Sand Camp in 1970. Today both Sand Camps are still under contract giving us over 40 years of experience in winter maintenance.
In 1973, Steed and Evans Limited acquired a Kitchener based company called Blacktop Construction Limited and its related group of companies. This gave our company a construction division serving a 50 mile radius from Kitchener with complete road/highway construction and reconstruction, sewer and watermain construction, concrete curbs and sidewalks, asphalt paving, noise barrier, bridge rehabilitation and residential subdivision developments. The start of the “One Stop Shopping” for your construction needs. Also acquired were the aggregate, crushing and asphalt plant in Heidelberg, the aggregate reserves in Bridgeport and an asphalt plant in Preston.
The seventies were noted for the completion of the East Street Main Tunnel in Welland, the Hamilton Entrance Bridges using an innovative beam launcher, several bridge rehabilitations projects and epoxy asphalt paving of Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver.
In 1989, succession planning began with the first Management Stock Option Plan offered to 8 key management employees. 4 were offered shares quickly due to their pending retirements; the other 4 were offered shares over the next 10 years. This was the first steps towards addressing their goal that the Company would be offered to the key employees to ensure its continued growth and prosperity for the benefit of future generations of company employees.
In 1989 the Company also entered into a 50/50 partnership with E&E Seegmiller Limited for an asphalt plant in Cambridge to replace our old Preston Asphalt Plant. The original partnership changed in 1995 to an incorporated company called Cambridge Asphalt Supply Inc. operating a state of the art Dratch plant (combined Drum and Batch Asphalt Plant).
Early in 1991, another 50/50partnership was formed with Ross Ristau to acquire the Frederick Asphalt Ltd. plant. Thereafter, the company name was changed to Kitchener Asphalt Limited and in 1996 the plant was moved from Trillium Drive in Kitchener to Petersburg, just west of Kitchener.
1996 brought another succession plan whereby Brian Barrett, Walter Nudyk and Malcolm Matheson were offered to purchase the construction, materials and road maintenance business of the company and retain the name of Steed and Evans Limited. Roy and Denis under their new company Steed & Evans Holdings Inc. would retain the Nelson Aggregate Co. partnership, the Kentville N.S. red sand reserves, the Kitchener properties and Peninsula Lakes Golf Course.
May 1999 was the start of our first 3 year Area Maintenance Contract which required us to maintain 1200 kilometers of highways in South Western Ontario. This contract required us to do summer maintenance, patrolling of the highways and winter plowing and salting. The 1200 kilometers covers a stretch from Strathroy to Georgetown and Fergus to Port Dover.
May 2002, the senior management completed the purchase of the Construction, Materials and Road Maintenance businesses of Steed and Evans Limited. This fulfilled Roy and Denis’ goal that the company carries on with existing key Management employees. Starting with Roy and Denis and continuing with key employees, we have developed over the years a character of Professionalism, Integrity, Respect, Flexibility, Adaptability and Profitability, ensuring that our people are trained well for their jobs and are always safe in their work.
In 2003 Steed and Evans Limited celebrated their 50th Anniversary in business.
May 2006, Brian Barrett President withdrew from the day to day operations commencing the next succession to key management employees (Malcolm Matheson, Jim Hurst and Paul Sousa) and carrying on Roy and Denis’s legacy of the company being owned and managed by key employees.
2008 saw 55 years in business and a new head office built at the entrance to our Heidelberg pit. A state of the art facility with expanded shop and office space will serve our needs well into the 21st century. We also expanded our winter maintenance by winning a 10 year contract with the Region of Niagara as well as renewing our two Toronto Depots for an additional 7 year contract.The people that built the business continue to own the business. Success is solidified in our new ownership.